Saturday, January 8, 2011

'Keeping positive' or 'I need a cycling nick-name'

I don't want this to be a space to rant. I don't want to give that impression. By and large I am a  positive, calm, up-beat sort of guy. 
So having said that I was thinking 'All serious cyclist have a nick name' ... it's true. So I'm a serious cyclist (at least in my little world).
So here it goes ... a list of cool cyclist nick-names:
Fausto CoppiIl Campionissimo (The Champion of Champions)
Eddy MerckxThe Cannibal
Fabian Cancellara- Spartacus
Miguel IndurainMiguelón (Big Mig)
Thor HushovdThe God of Thunder
Marco Pantani - Il Piratá
Danilo DiLucaThe Killer
Jan UllrichDer Kaiser
Tom BoonenTommeke
Mark CavendishManx Missile
Lance ArmstrongThe Boss
Alberto Contador - El Pistolero
Dennis MenchovDenny
Ivan BassoIvan the Terrible (not to be confused with “Birrilo”)
Cadel EvansCuddles

Of course I still struggle with what I would like to be called as a cyclist. I've referred to myself as 'The Boat Anchor' and 'Wheel Sucker'. I really like 'Spartacus' but I'm not a fierce warrior and/or leader. I'm more like Spartacus' red headed second cousin 'Tommy-Bob Spartacus'.
So I  translated a few of my self imposed nick names. All of them came out too long to remember. My favorite is this; 'pollone della rotella' ... 'Wheel Sucker' in Italian. The word 'Pallone' means sucker ... nah that's no good. I'll have to keep on working on this obviously.
Music": No music this AM. All is quiet in the house of pollone della rotella

No comments:

Post a Comment