Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bicycle Magazine awards. And the winners are:

I'm a magazine guy. Ever since I was young, my world revolved around them. When I was in high school and into college I could think of nothing I wanted to do more than be involved in magazines. My wish came true over the years. I started out in printing, learning everything I could. I served an apprenticeship, actually becoming a journeyman pressman.  I then learned all aspects of pre-press before morphing into what I do today. I shepherd publisher's projects through the print manufacturing phase. It's kind of fun, kind of frustrating and at times kind of boring. But hey .. I said I wanted to be involved .. so here I am.
The only thing that really sticks in my craw is the digital e-dition. You know the files you get on your iPads, e-readers and the like. We do those as well but the last thing I want is an electronic edition of my favorite magazine. Give me something tangible ... not a file on my iPad, I tried it, I don't like it. Although a bangin' web site to compliment a good magazine is a plus.
So having said that I feel I have an opinion ... but so does everybody else.

So the awards .. these are magazines I subscribe to. Everyone is a winner .. but for different reasons:

1. The Must Fun Award goes to: Road Bike Action. This magazine has the best all around writing. With tongue firmly implanted in cheek, Road Bike Action continues to be a favorite month in and month out.

2. Must Outside of the Box magazine Award goes to: Peloton. A new publication, Peloton is by far the most rounded, unintellectual publication out there. So far so good!

3. Most Professional Award goes to: Velonews. Head and shoulders the most professional, artistic publication. This magazine is truly a work of art. From the photography to the editorial content, Velonews has this portion of the cycling magazine market covered.

4. Most Politically Correct Award goes to: Bicycling Magazine. Never one to ruffle feathers, Bicycling Magazine continues to be a quality piece month in and month out. The cover every aspect of the cycling culture.

5. Best Web Site Award: This one is almost a toss up. But the web site I keep going back to is Peloton. As good as the publication and better that it's competitors. Lots of content that seems to change daily.

6. Most Likely to get voted off the Island Award. Bicycling Magazine. If  I had to give up one this would be it. I don't plan on it, but if i had to ...

So there you have it. Forget the digital  ... it's a fad. People will want them, but not the masses. Have an engaging web site ... that is a plus. And lastly ... think out side the box.
Peace out!
el Shiv

No comments:

Post a Comment