Saturday, September 17, 2011

Captain Kangaroo meets and drops El Shiv

So hey it has been awhile. Here is the low down:
I gave up trying to reach unattainable goals. Lose weight? Screw that. Log 1500 miles? Again with the screwing of that.
As many of you know, it has rained here in central PA all Spring. Summer couldn't end soon enough. It was one of those blazing hot affairs ... not unlike Vietnam in the late 1960's. But what really drove the nail in the coffin for me was the last time I was on my road bike ... allow me to elaborate:
I was somewhere between the earthquake and Hurricane Lee. I headed out early one weekend morning. I felt pretty good I must admit. I wear a mirror on my glasses as many cyclist do. In my mirror I notice some coming up behind me a fellow cyclist in  a bright yellow jersey. He was coming a ton. Or as some friends say 'eye balls and assholes' (I can't explain the latter, but it sounds good). Anyway, I'm moving along at a decent clip but 'Lanc'e is baring down on me big time. I suddenly hear 'Passing on your left'. I think 'here it comes' ... much to my surprise the guy passing me weighs about 250 pounds, the yellow jersey turns out to be a yellow t-shirt, and the bike is an old DUI Trek from the mid 1980's. Now comes the good part. The rider was the spiting image of Captain Kangaroo. Yeah, you know Bob Keeshan ... he played Claribell the Clown on Howdy Doody .. yeah that guy!
That's when I decided, NO MORE goals, no more expectations. Let my miles end where they may. Let my waste line be what it is.
I'll still run and ride and try to be smart about my routines but screw trying to live up to anything other than what I put on earth to be.
So kids, be good to one another, help a stranger in need. Be slow to anger ... even if Captain Kangaroo drops you like a bad transmission.
Peace out yo!
El Shiv

No comments:

Post a Comment