Friday, February 18, 2011

Oh No there goes Toykyo Oh no Bike-Zilla!! The fixed-gear chronicles

I've groaned the last time I posted about wanting a fixed gear Cyclo-Cross bike. I just had to have blah blah blah.  Well, as most things do in my life, the answer slapped me right in the skull. I have a single speed 29er hard tail mountain bike. It has mechanical disk brakes and that is about it. It's  blast to ride. But I'm telling you ... she WILL get your attention! Big, heavy, no gears ... yeah, you know what I mean. BIKE-ZILLA!
So anyway ... during my most recent brainstorm, I figured out that I would convert my 29er into said fixed gear.
The first thing I did was strip off the sissy mountain bikes bars and put a pair of drop bars on. I'm going to add road bike brake levers. Yeah, I'm a wuss ... I need brakes.
The thing I ran into was you can't put a flip-flop hub on a bike with disk brakes! Ah but I have a work around. I'll build a fixed hub using an old wheel and just run a front brake. When i want a fixie .. on goes the new wheel. When I feel my age I'll pop on the wheel with the disk brake. Genius! And to think I used to party like it was 1979! But that was back in the late 70's.
So join me in my saga .. I'll post as I go.
Here is a picture in her raw state.

No comments:

Post a Comment